The growing rate of infertility is making people search more for a variety of infertility treatments. And when it comes to the different treatment options for infertility, you will always think of IVF or in-vitro fertilization.
But what if the fertility specialist says that you are not the ideal candidate for IVF? Or what if the specialist suggests a procedure that will be an even better treatment option for you? Although IVF has completely transformed the ways of fertility treatments, it’s time to explore further. IUI treatment is now earning quick popularity as an alternative treatment procedure to overcome infertility.
Intrauterine insemination or IUI is a fertility treatment where the specialist will introduce a healthy sperm directly into the uterus of a woman. When you try to conceive naturally, the sperm needs to travel from the vagina into the uterus through the cervix. And then it has to swim up to the fallopian tube.
But in IUI, the doctor will “wash” and concentrate the sperm for direct placement inside the uterus. It’s a way to put the sperm closer to the egg. It will always increase the chances of pregnancy in many couples.
Picking the right candidate
The IUI is a special type of fertility treatment that can help many women to embark on the journey of pregnancy. But it is not the appropriate procedure for all women suffering from infertility issues. Unless you are sure that you will benefit from the treatment plan, you cannot undergo fertility treatment. Therefore, you must know whether you are the ideal candidate for the process.
Features of the good candidates
The IUI technique will succeed only if you are the ideal candidate. The standard criteria for being a good candidate for IUI treatment include
- When you have one blocked fallopian tube, the chances of egg release decrease to 50%. Even if the egg releases, it may have trouble fusing with the sperm lying apart.
- The treatment plan is ideal for you if your ovary is releasing healthy eggs at a normal rate.
- Sometimes, you may have a problem with the cervical mucus. It won’t create the ideal environment for the sperm to travel to the egg.
- Mild endometriosis is the right condition to apply IUI as the treatment plan can help you in this condition.
- Is your partner suffering from erectile problems? Then the male counterpart must have problems in sperm release too. If the sperm deposition is not happening, you won’t be able to conceive despite the release of eggs.
- What if you don’t want a husband or permanent partner to become a mother? The IUI process will be ideal. There is no need to enter into a relationship just because you want to enjoy the experience of being a mother naturally.
- Low sperm motility often becomes the reason for unsuccessful fertilization. But when the specialists directly place the sperm inside the uterus, there is no chance of failed fertilization because the sperm couldn’t reach the ovum at the right time.
The above conditions explain briefly how you can assess whether you can be a good candidate for the treatment option. You can discuss the chances of success accordingly with the doctor too.
A cost-effective option
If you have been worrying that undergoing infertility treatment will cost you a fortune, you are wrong. Consider the IUI treatment cost, which is quite low. The amount that you have to spend is reasonable, and it will include all tests and the medications too.
But the cost depends on the sperm donor too. The specialist will discuss the charges once you have decided to undergo the treatment plan.
Consider your age
If you are below 40 years, IUI is always a good option. At this age, the body is producing good quality eggs, unless you have some problems in the ovulation cycle. If the egg is healthy, then placement of the healthy sperm near the ovum can be the best way to try out pregnancy. It will simply increase the chances of fertilization.
Not ideal in PCOS
Do you have PCOS? Then the doctor may consider IUI as the second option. As the problem lies with the ovary and ovulation, it’s better to try out other forms of triggering ovulation instead of placing a sperm without knowing whether an egg will release and fuse with the sperm.
Think the right way
Visit any good fertility clinic, and you will notice that the doctors are very realistic about what to expect from the treatment plan. In the end, it’s a natural process. All the doctor can do is create the best environment and conditions for fertilization.
If your hormone levels are normal, your weight is standard, and you don’t have any other health issues, you can certainly undergo IUI. Buy you must set realistic expectations too and should be ready to ay regular visits to the clinic.