ANPR is the abbreviated form of Automatic Number Plate Recognition. Did you know what it exactly stands for or how it detects license plates? Nowadays, there is a growing need for an ANPR system but there is one way to use it. Understanding the characteristics and where they should be used will help you to know more about the software and the reasons behind their growing benefits nowadays.
Nowadays, you might have seen a growing number of cars on road. In the year 2010, more than 1 billion cars were seen in use. There are light, medium, and even heavy vehicles along the way. Right now, the number has increased considerably and is targeted to reach around 2 billion within the next 15 years!
When the pandemic hit the market hard, people started purchasing personal vehicles more to avoid contact in public transport. This is yet another reason for the growing number of cars used.
Improving the security issues:
With more cars on the road, security issues have even expanded to the next level. The problems include detecting and identifying any illegal car, finding the owner’s information of any car that met with an accident, and more.
All these points are surely going to take a lot of time than usual. So, how can you resolve this issue from its core? Well, using the ANPR system is going to be your answer. Let’s get right into the articles to know more about ANPR and its benefits involved.
What do you mean by ANPR?
You might have heard about license plate detection. ANPR is the automated version of the same work. It is considered to be pretty accurate in its findings, which read license plates without asking for any human interference.
- The main goal of this system is to monitor the vehicle thoroughly.
- The system helps in detecting number plates of any moving vehicle with agility.
- Even after that, ANPR doesn’t fail to offer accurate information about that passing vehicle.
The processes associated with ANPR:
There are some special algorithms that you will come to see while using the Automatic License Plate Recognition System. Then it further follows the pattern recognition technology, which helps in proper detection. You can divide the ANPR procedure into multiple steps for better understanding.
- At first, the system will capture the image. It includes the vehicle’s number plate with the help of surveillance cameras. It is mandatory to get a proper picture to move the steps forward.
- Then you have the algorithms from ANPR designed to analyze the higher contrasting areas for finding out license plates. Here, the captured images will turn into grey-scale ones, also known as binarization. After that, the noise gets removed from the image and keeps it all set for the next step.
- The third step is called character segmentation. Those characters, which cannot be segmented proficiently, are broken up into two segments. So, the algorithms will use neural networks for covering this step.
- Furthermore, the task of character segmentation takes place in two ways. At first, the system will use horizontal segmentation. And then they will use a vertical one. It depends on how the numbers are placed.
- The last step consists of character recognition. It helps in recognizing the characters from segmented images. It is also known as feature extraction. Bitmap representations are used over here for data transformation. Later, the data gets transformed into proper descriptors.
How to improve the security level with ANPR:
ANPR will mostly act out as a deterrent. The thought of their number plate being checked and recorded is enough to stop any form of criminal behavior from the very beginning.
- ANPR is vital for police members as well, who get the chance to browse collected data and check for any suspicious vehicles. They can further check vehicles involved in a crime.
- As ANPR data needs to be stored for a short while, it can provide alibis and incriminating data as well.
- You can expect ANPR to provide you with security on a lower level too. It can work on open workplace permits where it gets to manage permit parking for the staff vehicles.
- ANPR presents extra security measures for not just public but also for private use.
The real-time benefits involved:
When it comes to industrial uses, ANPR has its own share of popularity, especially when it comes to real-time imaging. Historically speaking, the number plate recording used to take a hell lot of time. Then, it used to be longer to send out the penalty notices to those violating traffic laws.
But, with the help of ANPR, you get to recognize number plates automatically and get those checked against databases. The camera’s fast capturing nature will help in providing an immediate response to cover any form of criminal activity. So, the unwanted behaviors will get checked out surely.